Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Today I started my first day of real training. Last night, we had new hire orientation where I was completely lost because they were going over stuff everyone learned during office orientation. I had no idea what the hell TIMEnX was, it's our expense reimbursement/payroll system. There were many other things I had no idea what they were. I felt lost and kinda frustrated from all of it. I got my KPMG Diner's Club credit card today finally....woopy. But, training wasn't as boring as I thought it would be. We learned about our communication styles. I'm a Golden Retriever....awww. The other types I could have been were the Fox, Parrot, or Lion. We learned about listening skills, networking with savvy, and workplace climate. All sound pretty lame, but they're all really important if I want to be a successful intern. They did a good job of trying to make it fun by having us participate in exercises and other hands-on activities. I was expecting them just to lecture us on who knows what.

After training, we headed over the Marriott Resort for the dinner etiquette and fashion show presentations. They put a really funny show on for the dinner etiquette. Once again, they didn't just lecture us on what to do. They had a mock dinner with an intern, manager, and partner. The intern screwed up everything possible to show us what not to do. The fashion show did the same thing like not to wear Abercrombie & Fitch to the office. LOL. I am hoping an intern won't be stupid enough to do such a thing, but you never know.

After both shows, we had dinner, and they had pool tables, table tennis, and volleyball for everyone to play. It was a fun night, and I was able to meet a lot of the other interns. Some of the interns I have been meeting are international students. I have five or so interns from Singapore. They are kinda impressed what I know about SG like JC's and the educational system, and of course I had to bring up the water situation with Malaysia. They seemed like really cool guys. Hopefully I will be able to hang out with them the rest of the week a little bit, but I don't think any of them were Forensic Services' interns, so kinda doubtful.

Earlier today, I ran into one of the recruiters, Bette, from the national office aka DC. I haven't seen her for at least six months since I have been away. She is a really nice woman who is very personable and easy to carry a conversation with. I ate lunch with her, and she asked me about Australia. I told her how I would LOVE to do an international rotation after three years, and she said she could definitely see me doing one which I thought was a nice compliment. What do you think guys - SG? Sorry Fang and other Malaysian friends, maybe no KL. I asked her if it was at all possible to work on an international engagement as an intern, and she said it was highly doubtful.

Tonight, at dinner, I saw Bette again. I ran across her the internships KPMG Singapore offers for overseas students. She said she knew nothing about it which I expected. I told her about my executive board responsibilities with one of my organizations, Beta Alpha Psi, next year. I would have to drop off of the board which obviously wouldn't be a good thing. But, she made a really really good point. If I somehow got this internship, it would be a HUGE career boost. Some board position that lasts one school year is not even close in importance as an internship that could affect the rest of my career and life. I have to send her an email with the webpage with the information so she can look it over and decide what to do. I am really really hoping something can happen. I know the chances are very very slim to none, but I would be the HAPPIEST person on this earth to get such a position. Living in SG for three months would be soooo damn cool. All the Singaporean girls for an American guy.....hahahah....J/K. I would be way too busy working to even notice all the hot girls.

Tomorrow is technical training which means I will be will all the Forensic interns, and learning how to catch the bad guys and all their fraudulent activities. It's about 11:05 PM, and I am beat. Last night I went to bed at 12:30 AM and woke up six hours later. Sunday night, I went to bed at 3:30 AM but at least I was able to sleep in until 11 AM Monday when the damn housekeeping woke me up.

So, I'm out for now. I need sleep. Adios amigos. I will have more on training soon. Love everyone.


Mark




Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

 

 

 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com About Me

Name: Mark Marasco
Age: 22
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Occupation: Corporate b*tch
AIM: Eminem067
MSN: MarkM2284@hotmail.com
EMAIL: mjm606@psu.edu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Favorite Current Movie:
 The 40 Year Old Virgin
Favorite Current Song:
 The Dandy Warhols "The Dope"

Archives
April 2005June 2005July 2005August 2005September 2005October 2005November 2005December 2005January 2006February 2006March 2006April 2006May 2006June 2006August 2006

 

Chatterbox