Sunday, July 17, 2005

Last night was fun.

My friend and I went to King of Prussia Mall, the largest mall on the east coast of the U.S. We went to a restaurant called Houlihon's or something like that. I haven't had a steak in the longest time so that's what I ate for din din. However, before eating, we were talking and at one point I thought it was odd that a waiter never came to our table to take our drink orders. Finally, some waiter realized that we were just sitting there and asked if anyone had helped us at which point, we said no. He said he would be back in a minute, but eventually another waiter finally came to take our drink and meal orders. We waited five minutes, 10 at the absolute most. I ordered the 1 liter long island iced tea. Alan had the three mini martinis. These guys inc. their kids who were male saw what we ordered and inquired about the drinks. They were impressed that I had this HUGE ass mug, remember 1 L, and Alan had his three martinis. After we got our drinks, the manager came over to our table. I thought he was going to ask for ID since our waiter never did cause the waiter seemed new, he seemed kinda nervous. Anyways, the manager said our first round of drinks were on the house since we were just sitting there for our waiter initially. I was like "Whaaa, are you serious?" But, I wasn't about to argue with the guy. Any time someone offers me a free drink, I'm all over that. Alan and I did not mind one bit that were waiting 5, maybe 10 minutes. We were chatting about whatever not even realizing how much time was passing. FREE drink + tasty steak dinner = good start to the night.

I don't think I've ever walked out of a restaurant a lil high. So that's a first, but I haven't exactly had many chances to do so since I don't eat out that much and I just turned 21 relatively recently. After dinner, we walked around the mall. One of our first stops was BANANA REPUBLIC. *sigh* Alan bought his approx. $150 brown dress shoes and his three undershirts for $39. The shoes were a nice choice, but I could not have spent that much on shoes, at least right now. Maybe in 14 months when I'm working full-time. However, I was surprised that he bought the 3 t-shirts for $39. They're just undershirts. Go to a department store and buy a 3-pack of Hanes for about $15. What's the difference - NONE, except for the name on the shirt. Seriously, I like nice clothing, coats, jackets, accesssories, and so on. My black shoes and a belt, which I love, are from Banana Republic. But why buy undershirts from BR when they'll just eventually get dirty and you'll have to throw them away? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, but it's not my money so he can spend it however he wishes, BUT this leads me to my next two discusssions....

First, I want to take about materiality and then about women (haha). First, about materiality. Alan seems to be turning into a material guy. Buying all this BR stuff, which is OK. But he was telling me about his co-workers and how they were shopping online at work for $300 Diesel Jeans and how they owned a pair. We got talking about this. Personally, I don't understand the point of owning a $300 pair of jeans. The most I will ever pay for a pair of jeans is $100 from Express and not even Express charges that much. Alan said that according to his co-workers, the money they make allows them to afford such a lifestyle. We continued talking about cars. After about 2 or 3 years of working, Alan plans on buying an Audi. I was really surprised by this comment. You're going to buy an Audi after 2 or 3 years of working? Seriously? Maybe it's just me and the way I am but there is no way in hell I will be buying an Audi after 2 or 3 years. Maybe after 10 years I will consider it. I told Alan I would much rather spend money on something that I will enjoy like travelling and travelling around the world. Why spend at least $30,000 when you can spend $20,000 on a decent car. So, when Alan buys his at least $30,000 Audi (probably more like $40,000 Audi) , I will buy my $20,000 whatever car and spend the $10,000 - $20,000 difference on travelling around the world experiencing stuff he probably will never experience. Maybe my thinking is just irrational, but I personally think I know where to spend my money. Cars - not important. House - moderate. Travelling - High. Clothing - low to moderate.

This question gets me to my next discussion which I believe deserves it's own space as I new blog so look above....


Mark




Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

 

 

 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com About Me

Name: Mark Marasco
Age: 22
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Occupation: Corporate b*tch
AIM: Eminem067
MSN: MarkM2284@hotmail.com
EMAIL: mjm606@psu.edu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Favorite Current Movie:
 The 40 Year Old Virgin
Favorite Current Song:
 The Dandy Warhols "The Dope"

Archives
April 2005June 2005July 2005August 2005September 2005October 2005November 2005December 2005January 2006February 2006March 2006April 2006May 2006June 2006August 2006

 

Chatterbox