Friday, September 09, 2005

Two nights ago, our business college (faculty) had their student involvement fair. All of the student organizations in the business school were there for students to find out about. I was there representing my organization, Beta Alpha Psi, which is an honorary organization. I know from the words "Beta Alpha Psi" it sounds like we're a frat, but we're not. So heaps of students came up, inquired about our organization, and I answered their questions.

An Asian girl came up and started talking/asking questions. She mentioned that she was a first year international student from....(GUESS).....Singapore. I was really surprised. If I hadn't met you guys (you know who you are), I probably would not have thought anything of it. Yeah, I probably would have said "Wow, that's pretty cool that she's from Singapore." But, when she told me where she was from, I got really EXCITED because I knew I could carry a conversation with her. And then, just to show that I knew a lil about her country, I asked which JC she went to. She had a blank stare on her face and was kinda speechless. She didn't know what to say. There was honestly a pause for a good 10 seconds. If only I had my digi cam to take a pic to get her reaction. And then she asked about how I knew about JC's in Singapore and I told her about study abroad and all of my great friends that I had to leave behind :( Then she finally answered my question. lol.

The same thing happened when I was in California for my internship training. I met about 3 or 4 guys who were international students from Sg. I was able to talk to them so easily. I still feel like I don't much about the country, but I guess they were impressed with the little that I did know. They were probably thinking, he's actually not an ignorant American.

So thank you to everyone.

And thank you to Fang for teaching all about Malaysia to me. I remember Charlene, one of the Malaysian girls, said one night in Dino's room that I knew more about her country than she did. I'm sure she wasn't being serious, but I still took it as a compliment because I felt like she appreciated that I knew some stuff about her country. So thanks Fang.


Mark




Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

 

 

 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com About Me

Name: Mark Marasco
Age: 22
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Occupation: Corporate b*tch
AIM: Eminem067
MSN: MarkM2284@hotmail.com
EMAIL: mjm606@psu.edu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Favorite Current Movie:
 The 40 Year Old Virgin
Favorite Current Song:
 The Dandy Warhols "The Dope"

Archives
April 2005June 2005July 2005August 2005September 2005October 2005November 2005December 2005January 2006February 2006March 2006April 2006May 2006June 2006August 2006

 

Chatterbox