Monday, October 17, 2005

Yesterday had to be probably one of the worst days so far. As I mentioned earlier, our football team lost in a ridiculous way. Now you're probably thinking it's just footy, but no it's not. The loss was worse than anything I have ever experienced in my sports playing career. Nothing comes even close to comparing.

Then, on my way to the library around 1 pm, I called my mom to let her know that I arrived back at Penn State safely. She said she had bad news. I knew immediately what was going to come out of her mouth as much as I didn't want to hear it. She had to put our cat, Blackjack, to sleep on Saturday because of his kidney failure. For the past two months or so, Blackjack had been vomiting, not eating right, and some other stuff. But, since we have another cat (Lexus) we thought it was her because she had been the one that always puked in the past. Anyways, before I came to uni, my mom and I had figured out that Blackjack was the one causing the destruction in the house a.k.a. vomiting so then we knew something was up. Then it was time for me to come to uni. My mom kept close watch on him and noticed he wasn't eating properly. So about a month ago, my mom took him to the vet. They ran some blood work but it turned out fine. Then the vet ran some additional tests which revealed that he had kidney failure. The vet gave my mom some medicine for Blackjack but he said it was only a waiting game before it would be time to put him to sleep. So, on Saturday, my mom took Blackjack to the vet to put him to sleep. She said that he was getting very weak and didn't want him to go through any more pain. He was 13 years old and one of the best pets I could have asked for. I still remember how we got Blackjack. At our old house in the suburbs, our neighbor caught a stray cat but didn't want to keep it. Well, being the young kids that my brother and I were, we convinced my mom to adopt the cat.

After the trip to the vet to get the "sleeping juice," my mom took him out to my dad's house. My brother buried a hole in the woods and gave him a headstone. You may think this is odd and weird but thinking about it, I'm glad my mom and brother did it. Otherwise, Blackjack just would have been put into a pet bag and tossed in the dumpster and taken out to the landfill (literally, that's what they do.)

So I knew the bad news about Blackjack would be coming eventually, but I was hoping that I would somehow get to see him during Thanksgiving Break...about a month away. I was almost about to cry on the way to the library except all the people walking by prevented me from doing so. That's how much he meant to me and our family. He wasn't just a cat; he was part of the family.

Well, I should probably get back to studying financial accounting for my exam on Wed.

RIP Blackjack 10/15/2005


Mark




Comments: Post a Comment

 

 

 

 

 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com About Me

Name: Mark Marasco
Age: 22
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Occupation: Corporate b*tch
AIM: Eminem067
MSN: MarkM2284@hotmail.com
EMAIL: mjm606@psu.edu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Favorite Current Movie:
 The 40 Year Old Virgin
Favorite Current Song:
 The Dandy Warhols "The Dope"

Archives
April 2005June 2005July 2005August 2005September 2005October 2005November 2005December 2005January 2006February 2006March 2006April 2006May 2006June 2006August 2006

 

Chatterbox